Monday, January 10, 2011

My Favorite Breakfast


I don't know if I invented this breakfast. It seems unlikely. But I've never had it or heard of it before. I was just sitting in the class in which I was substitute teaching one day and the fantasy of these flavors and textures together in my mouth entered my head.

I happened to have made some homemade granola a week or two before and wasn't using it up quickly. I spooned out some cold, creamy, low-fat vanilla yogurt into a bowl, sliced oranges on top and poured granola over all and it honestly was better than I had imagined.

Exactly five months from today, I will be 40 years old and my body is telling me in lots of different ways that the old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be. In the last 18 months, I've continued eating as I always have, but I noticed I was putting on weight when I hadn't before. So, I continued with my normal diet but began to exercise faithfully...

And I continue to put on weight.

So now I'm looking for ways to still enjoy food, but cut calories or portions and make our favorite things more healthful while still allowing them to be flavorful. I'm extra pleased with this breakfast because it's not "good, for healthy food." It's just GOOD. I feel like I'm getting a special treat when I'm eating it.

3 comments:

  1. I will take granola and yogurt over granola and milk any day. Never thought of oranges, though. Bill and Susie sent us a box from FL. We'll be having those for breakfast soon, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granola, homemade yogurt, and whatever kind of fruit's around is my breakfast 99% of the time. If we happen to have some almonds or other nuts on hand I might add them. Now that we're living on the farm I make yogurt from milk I get from a neighbor. Mmmmmmm, I'm already thinking about breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds good, but (shudder) a cold breakfast in winter I cannot do. But then, sighhhhh, there will be no good oranges in the hot weather! So maybe I will break down and try it since I'm tickled by the thought of the sub dreaming of breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete

I write my posts imagining that I am already in the middle of a conversation with you. I hope you will comment and be a part of the conversation.