Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Grandma's Thick Potato Soup

A question I love to ask people is: If your mother offered to make you anything you wanted for a birthday meal, what would you ask her to make? It seems to be a question that might reveal in it's answer what your mother's best meal is, or maybe what your favorite meal from childhood might have been. My dad is #2 of 6 kids in the family. He and most of his siblings have answered that question with, "Mom's Thick Potato Soup."

Dad grew up in the 1940's enjoying Grandma's cooking, and a favorite meal was this hearty soup with potatoes, onions and bacon. It was always distinguished by the descriptive word THICK, because GRANDPA'S preferred potato soup was thin and milky, and he liked to float homemade croutons in it. Grandma often made both soups for the meal to please everyone. (This smacks a bit of Short Order Cook to me. I aim to please, but if, after all my preparations, someone wishes aloud for anything different, I sniff, "There's bread and peanut butter in the pantry if you are not satisfied.")

Last night we had a simple meal - the hearty potato soup, fruit and crackers. Some of us are under the weather and the idea of soup seemed bolstering. I also like to think that Soup Days are numbered as we get more frequent glimpses of the sun these late February days.

I guarantee that I never saw my grandmother or mother (who learned this recipe early in marriage) look at this recipe when making the soup, but a recipe DOES exist, and here it is:

Grandma Carrie's Thick Potato Soup
Boil together - 6 c. diced potatoes and 1/2 c. diced onion and cook until tender. Drain.
Combine - 1 c. fried, crumbled bacon, 1/4 c. flour, 2 t. salt, 3 c. milk.

Mix these last 5 ingredient until lump-free and add to potatoes and onion. Stir over low heat until thickened.

Some may wish to add more crumbled bacon or shredded cheese as a garnish, but I arch my brow and assure you that this soup will stand on its own. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I write my posts imagining that I am already in the middle of a conversation with you. I hope you will comment and be a part of the conversation.